Since our founding in 1994, it has been our mission to become the world’s largest primary silver producer with the lowest cash costs. Since then we have grown continuously in production and financial strength. We now own and operate seven mines in Mexico, Peru, Bolivia and Argentina.
We currently have 3 projects: Navidad, Calcatreu and La Virginia. We believe that our success is primarily due to the unique blend of skills and experience of our team: we are mining professionals with deep backgrounds in exploration, construction, operations, closure, financing, community relations and environmental stewardship. We know how to advance early-stage projects through construction and into production efficiently and effectively. Through construction and operation, we are dedicated to protecting the health and safety of our workers and the prosperity and well-being of the communities in which we operate. We know that mines have a finite lifespan, therefore we are experienced in, and dedicated to planning for closure, with full consideration of the environmental and socioeconomic aspects, and the long-term sustainability of local communities after the mine ceases to operate.
At Pan American Silver, we understand that we can only operate with the cooperation of our neighbours: the people, communities, and authorities in the regions where we work. In this Sustainability Report we present examples of what we have done in nearby communities that demonstrates our commitment and our progress in ensuring that cooperation by building sustainability through cultural respect and support, and sharing the many social and economic benefits of silver mining. Pan American Silver has truly been a pioneer in creating corporate social responsibility within the mining industry and this has resulted in the creation of a bond of trust between the company and the communities where we operate.
Pan American Silver Corp. is committed to operating all of its mines and developing new projects in harmony with the communities where they are located. We will continually improve our standards of social responsibility and make a positive difference in the communities in which we live and work by fostering sustainable development.
We will earn the trust of all with whom we interact whether they are our employees, the communities where we operate, the governments that host us or any other persons with whom we are involved in the sustainable development of mineral resources. Through our local offices we will focus our efforts on education, health, nutrition, infrastructure development and alternative economic activities.
We will adhere to the definition of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) as proposed by the World Bank: CSR is the commitment of business to contribute to sustainable and society at large to improve the quality of life, in ways that are both good for business and good for development.
It is our commitment to:
- Meet or exceed industry standards for community engagement, following the laws and regulations of the countries and regions in which we operate;
- Endeavour to engage our communities in a timely, inclusive, honest, transparent and culturally appropriate way before undertaking significant activities and at appropriate stages throughout the life of a project;
- Monitor, continuously improve and publicly report our CSR related activities and performance;
- Promote health, education and agricultural programs in the areas we operate;
- Assist regional development by providing training and employment and fostering opportunities for small businesses; and
- Support sustainable, community based projects that can make a positive difference to the lives of the people that live in the community.
Each of our operations is responsible and held accountable for the development and implementation of procedures and programs that comply with this policy.
President and CEO
Pan American Silver Corp.
February 21, 2012