Responding to the COVID-19 Pandemic
Last updated August 2021
Pan American has engaged its crisis response team to proactively plan and manage issues related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Our primary concern is the health and safety of our people and the communities in which they live and work. We are monitoring information provided by governments and health authorities to determine the current situation regarding COVID-19 in the communities in and near where we work and following the recommended measures for prevention and containment.
Following government approval to resume the operations temporarily suspended by COVID-19 restrictions, Pan American has implemented the following health and safety protocols:
Protecting health and safety:
- Complying with the recommended health & safety protocols in the jurisdictions where we operate.
- Pre-screening of employees prior to arrival at site, including mandatory COVID-19 testing in certain jurisdictions.
- Daily temperature checks of employees at sites.
- Strict protocols regarding contact tracing of potential exposure to COVID-19 prior to admission to site.
- Suspending non-essential domestic and international company travel.
Compliance & Regulations:
- Complying with government regulations in the jurisdictions where we operate.
- Regular, rigorous monitoring and documentation of compliance with safety and health protocols.
- Gradual ramp-up of operations to promote physical distancing and adjustment of protocols.
- Structured independent workforce “capsules” to enable isolation of any employee(s) exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms, with medical check and isolation of teammates.
- Work from home protocols for those able to do so.
Facilities & Camps:
- Regular sanitization of all facilities (lunchrooms, meeting rooms, machinery, trucks etc.).
- Camps structured as “capsules” to avoid/limit entry of external people.
- Common facilities re-arranged to maintain social distancing.
- Bus transport of employees at half capacity.
- Ample supply of face masks, antibacterial gels, and soap.
- Training on COVID-19 prevention for all employees.
- Cultivating a culture where working with COVID-19 protocols are part of operations.
- Process for sharing good operational practices amongst the operations.
Business Continuity Planning:
- Engaged cross-functional team to proactively plan and manage issues.
- Monitoring supply and logistical chains, establishing alternatives, as necessary.
- Instituted corporate-wide spending controls.
Supporting our Communities:
- $2.0 million donation of food and hygiene supplies.
- $1.5 million partnership commitment with UNICEF Canada to support children and families affected by COVID-19.
- Contributed material and medical supplies to establish a COVID-19 vaccination centre in Huayllay, Peru, in partnership with the local branch of DIRESA, the Peruvian Health Authority.
- Committed support to UNICEF Canada's GiveAVax campaign to provide global equitable access to COVID-19 vaccines through distribution of two billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines to low and middle income countries by the end of 2021.
- Facilitating access to health care.
- Assisting in sanitation efforts of community common areas.
- Facilitating access to education.
- Introducing programs to support employee mental health and stress management at our operations.
- Communicating with employees, including those demobilized or working from remote locations, about their physical and emotional health.
Pan American will continue to adapt its plans to respond to the rapidly evolving COVID-19 situation. We are committed to providing timely, accurate information on our business; please see our news releases for the most recent updates.