Responding to the COVID-19 Pandemic
Last updated on April 17, 2020
Pan American has engaged its crisis response team to proactively plan and manage issues related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Our primary concern is the health and safety of our people and the communities in which they live and work. We are monitoring information provided by governments and health authorities to determine the current situation regarding COVID-19 in the communities in and near where we work and following the recommended measures for prevention and containment. Steps we have taken to protect health and safety include:
- Informing employees, contractors and the communities where we operate of the recommended actions they should take to prevent the spread of COVID-19, following the advice provided by the World Health Organization.
- Encouraging our employees and contractors to comply with the public health instructions mandated by their respective national and local governments.
- Enhancing the screening of people entering our mine sites; in most cases, these measures include pre-screening before arrival at site, temperature checks and completion of personal health questionnaires.
- Promoting physical distancing by reducing the number of personnel permitted at one time in areas such as meeting rooms or company provided transport.
- Instituting work from home protocols for employees and contractors in our corporate and country offices, where possible.
Suspending non-essential domestic and international company travel.
- Demobilizing potential at-risk personnel from certain remote sites where medical care facilities for respiratory illnesses are not readily accessible.
- Requiring employees and contractors to stay home if they are not feeling well.
- Requiring employees or contractors who may have been exposed to the COVID-19 virus or have recently completed international travel to stay at home for 14 days, regardless of whether they are showing symptoms.
We are also taking steps to support business resilience during this difficult time, including monitoring our supply chains and implementing corporate-wide spending controls. We have a strong financial position and an experienced management team with in-depth knowledge of our assets. Where our operations have been suspended in accordance with government orders, we are conducting care and maintenance activities to sustain appropriate safety and environmental systems and to ensure operational readiness when the suspensions are lifted.
Pan American will continue to adapt its plans to respond to the rapidly evolving COVID-19 situation. We are committed to providing timely, accurate information on our business; please see our news releases for the most recent updates.