In this position, you will be responsible for supervising all mine engineering staff and managing all mine functions
at the Bell Creek Mine to maximize the operation’s performance in a safe manner. You will oversee, coordinate
and address engineering activities including annual budget, reserves, planning, surface and underground
infrastructure, mine ventilation, geotechnical matters, material handling, reconciliation, hourly bonus and
reporting. You will develop, optimize and implement the approved mine plan to achieve annual tonnage and
ounce objectives in a safe and economic manner.
Reporting to the Mine Manager, the Chief Mine Engineer will have the following responsibilities:
- Supervise and mentor the mine engineering personnel.
- Provide technical leadership and operational expertise to the engineering and operations team.
- Develop, optimize and implement the approved mine plan to achieve annual tonnage and ounce objectives in
a safe and economic manner
- Establish, execute and effectively monitor short-term (daily and 3M) and long-term (reserves and life of mine)
plans that supports the growth of the operation
- Facilitate weekly planning meetings, with key personnel, to coordinate activities in order to meet goals
- Oversee, coordinate and address engineering activities including planning, surface and underground
infrastructure, geotechnical matters, material handling, reconciliation and reporting
- Monitor the underground activities to coordinate and prioritize the planning goals
- In consultation with the mine team, plan alternative optimized methods of ore extraction, stope access and
mining sequence, detailing the costs, benefits and issues with each approach and makes recommendations to
- Oversee and signoff on month-end engineering reports and hourly bonus calculations
- Monitor compliance and ensure adherence to applicable engineering codes, regulations, safety and
environmental practices, performance standards and specifications
- Develop the annual mine site budget and quarterly forecasts, with support from stakeholders
- Contribute to strategic long term mine planning sessions, with input from all stakeholders
- Coordinate mine engineering work with that of geology, ground control, ventilation and mine operators. Work
closely with the operating and technical groups to support optimum utilization of resources.
- Troubleshoot problems that arise; analyze and recommend solutions so that mining will proceed according to
- In consultation with the mine team, develop alternative methods of ore extraction; this will include assessing
stope access, mining sequence, detailed costs, benefits and issues with each approach and making
recommendations to the team.
- Assist with underground mining studies, including cost estimates
- Contribute to the development of policies and procedures in engineering
- Participate actively in training programs, personnel improvement, and job improvement initiatives.
- Continually develop the ability, knowledge and skills necessary to keep up with the changing methods and
technology in the job.
- Assist with special projects that arise within the planning and projects teams.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- Registered Professional Engineering license in Ontario (P.Eng).
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in an underground mine engineering and operating role.
- Strong background in long-hole and conventional mining methods is essential.
- Experience with paste fill would be considered an asset.
- Experience with ground control, mine ventilation systems and underground water management would be considered an asset.
- Strong leadership, initiative and ability to prioritize workload and coordinate multiple tasks under strict deadlines with independence and professionalism.
- Knowledge of engineering techniques as they apply to ore body evaluation and mine operations.
- Strong computer skills are essential, including the ability to use and create excel spreadsheets and work with scheduling programs. Excellent skills are required in the use of Computer Aided Design programs such as; A-Mine, AutoCAD, EPS, Deswik, VentSim, and others.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point and Project).
- Excellent communication skills between technical and non-technical groups. The ability to relate to both operations and engineering in a team approach is essential to success.
- A team player with strong time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop the engineering team.
- Be responsible for EIT and other technical staff career progression at the mine site.
- Excellent analytical skills, good attention to detail and the ability to provide sound engineering problem solving techniques to resolve potential issues.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada.
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive Wages
- Sign-On Bonus
- Relocation Assistance Available
- Flexible Work Schedules
- Medical and Prescription Benefits
- Dental Plan
- Vision Coverage
- Wellness Spending Account
- Company Paid Pension Plan
- Basic Life/Accidental Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability Coverage
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Vacation
- Mine/Mill Performance Plan Incentives
- Perfect Attendance Rewards
- Paid Pregnancy and Parental Leave
Lake Shore Gold is located in Timmins, Ontario, a vibrant community of 45,000 residents that is a central hub for Northeastern Ontario. In Timmins, people can enjoy recreational activities such as camping, world class fishing, nature, and snowmobile trails. Direct flights to Toronto are available at the local airport via multiple carriers. There are many support networks in the community including the local Timmins and District Hospital, local sports leagues for children and adults (hockey, baseball, basketball, etc.), golf courses, both cross country and downhill ski resorts, a community pool, and many other community events that provide entertainment throughout the year (fairs, carnivals, concerts, etc.).
Lake Shore Gold operates two mines in Timmins: Timmins West Mine and Bell Creek Mine. The Timmins West Mine is located approximately 18 kilometres west of the city, while Bell Creek Mine is located approximately 20 kilometers northeast of the city and consists of an underground mine and processing facility with its tailings management area. Timmins, Ontario is one of the world’s most prolific gold camps and mineralization at both mines is associated with the Porcupine-Destor fault system within the Abitibi greenstone belt.
Lake Shore Gold is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect and we believe that diversity and inclusion among our team members is critical to our success. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and all aspects of employment including the decision to hire or promote will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business requirements.